University of Maryland Capital Region
Posted 4 weeks ago
Discuss pay at interview
What You Will Do:
University of Maryland Capitol Region Health is an integrated not-for-profit, community-owned organization comprised of two hospitals and several other healthcare facilities providing comprehensive, quality healthcare services to the residents of Prince George's County, Maryland and surrounding areas. Both hospitals within University of Maryland Capitol Region Health have been recognized by U.S. News & World Report. University of Maryland Capitol Region Health is the largest healthcare system headquartered in Prince George's County. Facilities: Bowie Health Campus, Family Health and Wellness Center, Glenridge Medical Center, Laurel Regional Hospital and Prince George's Hospital Center. Mission: To provide comprehensive health care of the highest quality to residents and others who use our services while strengthening our relationship with universities, research and healthcare organizations to ensure best-in-class patient care.
Under the direction of the laboratory manager and designated supervisory staff, the medical technologist provides routine and specialized laboratory testing in a timely manner for patient care. Performs duties independently with minimum supervision. May serve as charge technologist for assigned sections of the laboratory. Requires Medical Technologist (ASCP) or equivalent certification.
- Performs routine and specialized laboratory testing in their assigned specialty area following all standard operating procedures.
- Correlates laboratory findings with disease states; integrates and relates data from other laboratory specialty areas; confirms abnormal results and resolves specimen and testing discrepancies. Institutes appropriate follow-up measures for unusual test results.
- Calibrates instruments; performs and documents preventative and corrective maintenance on instruments and equipment
- Troubleshoots most routine technical and analytical problems including specimen collection problems within minimal supervision.
- Monitors and reviews quality control data and quality assurance information to determine reliability and acceptability of patient results. Assists in documentation of quality occurrences. Initiates corrective actions for quality control and other quality and/or service problems.
- Performs duties and documents information in compliance with a variety of regulatory and accreditation standards. Performs testing on proficiency testing samples as required.
- Assures tests are completed in a timely manner per turnaround time expectations of the Department and that all pending test reports are reconciled in a timely manner.
- Provides orientation and training to new employees in the assigned laboratory sections. Attends continuing education sessions as required.
- Assists in reviewing standard operating procedures as requested.
- Maintains a neat and organized bench area replenishing supplies as needed.
- May serve as charge technologist on assigned shifts; in this capacity, troubleshoots laboratory operations problems and initiates corrective actions.
- THIS REQUIRES full generalist experience. Strong skills in a busy Blood Bank is desired. Core Lab and limited Microbiology are included.
What You Need to Be Successful:
- B.S. degree in Medical Technology, Biology, or related field
- Current certification in good standing as a Medical Technologist (MT) or equivalent certification
- One year of experience in a clinical laboratory settingBasic knowledge and working experience with Medical Terminology Registered Medical Technologist (ASCP)
- HEW Certified CLT
- Ability to assist with the supervisory activities and functions of assigned personnel.
- Excellent oral communication skills
- Ability to write technical reports and procedures, synthesize and integrate data, summarize findings utilizing statistical techniques such as means and averages, percentages, standard deviations and mathematical skills equivalent to college level mathematics.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Posted 2 weeks ago
Posted 1 week ago
Posted 3 weeks ago
Posted 2 weeks ago