This job posting is no longer active. Click here to see other jobs.
Laguna Niguel, CA 92677
St. Joseph Health / Covenant Health
Posted 21 weeks ago
Discuss pay at interview
Job Summary: The medical office Medical Assistant / Phlebotomist processes (including complex and multiple-step processing) and prepares specimens for Clinical Laboratory and Reference Laboratory testing. The medical office Phlebotomist will perform venipuncture and skin puncture for the purpose of obtaining blood specimens for laboratory analysis. The Phlebotomist may operate automated laboratory instrumentation to assist in laboratory testing. This position may require assistance with inventory of laboratory section supplies, and may assist with Quality Assurance data collection and recording, and action / follow up. Primary job function is to assist the physician in providing patient care demonstrating our core values. The medical assistant will function within the appropriate scope of practice and reports to the back office lead / site management.
Essential Values-Based, Leadership and Management Competencies: Demonstrates values-based competencies in line with the four core values that are the foundation of all activities performed by employees in order to achieve the Mission of the St. Joseph Health System.
Dignity: Demonstrates competence in communication and interpersonal relations.
Excellence: Demonstrates competence in continuous improvement, continuous learning, accountability, and teamwork.
Service: Demonstrates competence in customer/patient focus and adaptability.
Justice: Demonstrates competence in community orientation and stewardship.
• Performs capillary and venous specimen collections as required, taking into account the age specific need and requirement of the patient and/or family as per division policies and procedures
• Demonstrates the ability to recognize priorities first and plan for the completion of remaining duties.
• Ensures that the daily maintenance operations of the laboratory section are accomplished and documented according to established protocols.
• Labels all tubes/aliquots accurately, immediately after specimen collection.
• Operates automated and semi-automated laboratory instrumentation as assigned.
• Performs all procedures according to department policy and procedure - these may include complex or multiple-step specimen preparation and handling, testing protocols, etc.
• Collects and records laboratory Quality Assurance and other data as assigned; may perform QC problem follow-through under supervision of licensed personnel.
• Practices within the scope of education and training. Scope competencies identified on clinical orientation / competency evaluation. (See form.)
• Performs assigned tasks appropriately and completely. Gives appropriate patient care, sets up procedures correctly, obtains complete patient information data (chief complaint/vital signs/allergies/medication updates/etc.), anticipates needs and assists providers appropriately.
• Maintains clinical competency requirements.
• Demonstrates initiative for self-improvement and completes required competencies.
• Participates as a team member demonstrated by utilizing proper chain of command and communicating effectively with physicians and co-workers. Participates in staff meetings and maintains positive attitude.
• Meets compliance standard for documentation. Documentation is pertinent, complete and legible.
• Instructs patients/significant others in test requirements and physician orders.
• Maintains a clean, functional work environment to include housekeeping, log maintenance and accurate supply par levels. Ability to assist others in office set-up and flow.
• Demonstrates knowledge and use of ICD-9 coding, accurately completes all paperwork and has working knowledge of IDX. Ability to train others in utilizing the resources to coding effectively.
• Utilizes AEMR (ambulatory electronic medical record) appropriately and consistently to document patient care. Maintains confidentiality of password.
• Identifies system challenges and makes recommendations for system enhancements. Participates in the implementation of new procedures / systems.
• Performs automated instrumentation startup, daily and periodic maintenance as assigned
• Maintains on-site files of testing, QC, and other testing documents and records.
• Trains other staff members in various aspects of technical duties as assigned.
• Responds to patient emergencies as directed.
• Demonstrates ability to train other medical assistants, extern students.
• Performs all other duties as assigned.
• Human development knowledge/skills:
Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served including knowledge of the principles of growth and development and psychosocial characteristics and interventions for age specific requirement of the assigned unit.
• Age-specific patient needs that employee is required to understand and meet:
Demonstrates the ability to assess and interpret age appropriate data about the patient's status in order to identify age-specific needs and provide the care needed.
• Additional requirements:
Demonstrates age appropriate communication skills for the patient population served.
Demonstrates knowledge of age-specific community resources.
Information Management: Treats all information and data within the scope of the position with appropriate confidentiality and security. Maintains all practices to protect PHI and follow HIPAA guidelines.
Staff shall have access to a patient's current and historical record of lab test results as necessary to provide ordered lab services. Access to PHI shall be available only when the on duty and working.
Risk Management: Cooperates fully in all risk management activities and investigations.
• Is knowledgeable of, observes and complies with codes of safe practice, safety polices and emergency procedures.
• Mandatory initial and annual attendance at OSHA / safety in-services.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
• High school diploma or GED required.
• Successful completion of an accredited Medical Assistant program with externship hours completed.
• Requires one (1) year performing blood specimen collections on adults and children and/or recent graduate from an accredited venipuncture school.
• One (1) year work experience as a Medical Assistant required.
Training: Training must be appropriate for the specific position available. Example- pediatric experience if position is in pediatric office.
License / Certification:
• Valid Venipuncture certificate issued under the guidelines of current California Laws.
• MA certificate
• Current BLS (CPR) certification
Computer Skills: Basic computer skills in a Windows operating environment including Microsoft Word and an e-mail system.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
• Demonstrates a high level of skill in communicating information to co-workers, nursing and medical staff, and others.
• Must have technical problem solving skills
• High level of customer service skills with a genuine caring approach to helping people.
• Maintain a positive attitude with changing conditions.
• Good organizational abilities.
• Requires good written and verbal communications skills to communicate effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization.
• Must be able to work under general supervision.
• Must have a professional and mature demeanor.
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced department and handle multiple tasks, work with interruptions, and deal effectively with confidential information.
Preferred Position Qualifications:
• Three (3) years of experience in blood specimen collections on adults and children preferred.
• Two (2) plus year medical assistant experience preferred.
Computer Skills: EMR and IDX experience a plus.
Other: Bilingual English/Spanish communication skills a plus.
• May be exposed to biohazardous, and chemically hazardous substances.
• May be exposed to the risk of bloodborne diseases.
• Exposure to a variety of electro-mechanical hazards.
• Exposure to odorous chemicals and specimens.
• Occasional exposure to unpleasant patient or unit elements.
Physical Requirements: Sitting, standing, walking, bending, climbing, reaching, stooping, kneeling, pushing/pulling, lifting/carrying up to 40 lbs., and grasping. Use of computer keyboard and/or screen for up to 8 hours a day. Must be able to assist patients and able to push wheelchair patients. Must have normal or corrected vision and hearing to normal ranges; distinguish colors; articulate speech.
St. Joseph Heritage Healthcare (SJHH) is one of California's most respected medical groups. With over 3,000 employees and 75 locations throughout California, including, Northern California, Orange County, High Desert and Los Angeles County, SJHH has been continually recognized as a leader in quality, customer service and information technology. This kind of success is the result of team work, a commitment to excellence and a strong adherence to the organization's mission, vision and values.St. Joseph Heritage Healthcare (SJHH) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, St. Joseph Heritage Healthcare (SJHH) complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities..... click apply for full job details