Medical Assistant - Roscoe UCC
Los Angeles, CA 91330
DaVita Medical Group
HealthCare Partners Medical Group is seeking a Medical Assistant to support Roscoe UCC, Northridge CA
Medical Assistant is responsible for performing patient-oriented procedures under the supervision of a clinician, RN, LVN, or Care Team Supervisor to ensure safe and appropriate care.
- Primary Location: Roscoe UCC
- Full Time
- Monday - Friday 2:00pm-10:00pm
- Rotating Weekend & Holidays: 9:00am-10:00pm
- Bilingual Candidates Preferred
- Closely monitors patient safety at all times; i.e. does not leave patient on an exam table unattended and participates in fall prevention program.
- Complies with sharps safety program at all times, i.e. only using devices with safety features and employing safe work practices.
- Anticipates the needs of the Primary Care Physician and carries out orders.
- Provides direct patient care as needed.
- Checks Electronic Health Records (EHR) for patients' arrival status and escorts patients from waiting area to exam rooms.
- Obtains, records, and reports vital signs and other pertinent patient information to RN, LVN, or clinician.
- Performs ear lavage, EKG, spirometry, injections, peak flows, pulse oximetry, breathing treatments, suture removals, wound dressings, vision / hearing tests, urine pregnancy tests, urine dips, blood glucose testing, and blood hemoglobin (hemocue) testing and any other procedures and screening tests as permitted by the scope of practice.
- Performs phlebotomy and handles other lab specimens (i.e. 24 hour urine, wound cultures obtained by clinician, biopsy specimens obtained by clinician, etc.) and monitors labs as appropriate.
- Assists clinician with procedures routinely performed in a primary care setting (i.e. paps, wet mounts, laceration repairs, sigmoidoscopies, joint injections, joint aspirations, and other minor surgical procedures).
- Assists clinician and licensed nursing teammates in responding to patient emergency situations as per Emergency Response Protocols.
- Performs other patient-oriented procedures within scope of practice under the supervision of a clinician, RN Manager, RN Supervisor, Care Team Supervisor, or LVN.
- Maintains and cleans exam / treatment areas, specimen processing areas, and medical equipment.
- Transports dirty equipment, performs appropriate cleaning, disinfecting, autoclaving, cold sterilization, maintains autoclave, cidex and A-test logs.
- Cleans and stocks exam rooms, specimen processing areas, and Care Team stations.
- Performs medication administration within scope of practice and documents administration of medications and procedures in EHR.
- Maintains monthly expiration logs for medications and sample medications (refrigerated and non-refrigerated).
- Maintains yearly expiration logs for Preventative Maintenance (PM) and as needed.
- Performs EKG reconciliation and ensures confirmed EKG’s are seen by clinician.
- Maintains and follows up on Abnormal Pap Log at least monthly, if not weekly.
- Instructs patient on lab, radiology, and other procedure / testing preparations.
- Participates in visit closure with patient and clinician by explaining next steps for lab, X-ray, referrals, Durable Medical Equipment (DME), etc.
- Escorts patients to ancillary services when needed.
- Facilitates the transfer of pertinent patient information between site and referred Specialists, Hospitals, Urgent Care Centers, Ancillary Testing Facilities, etc.
- Forwards all pre-op information to hospital surgeon.
- Maintains referral tickler file / log as appropriate.
- Schedules appointments.
- Registers new patients and refers them to the Eligibility department as needed.
- Conducts New Patient Orientation Phase II.
- Enters "No shows" into IDX, and performs "No Show" follow up process.
- Works bump list.
- Maintains immunization records and updates EHR (including California Immunization Registry (CAIR)).
- Assists with the completion of appropriate forms (DMV, disability, etc.).
- Updates patient demographic information in IDX.
- Performs patient record audits.
- Answers, directs, and follows up on incoming calls.
- Takes messages for Care Team.
- Calls patients as requested by clinician.
- Distributes incoming correspondence (faxes, consult notes, test results, etc.).
- Handles prescription refills as per scope of practice.
- Participates in handling patient concerns, forwards form to the Patient Liaison or supervisor and responds to patient complaints if appropriate.
- Completes Care Team compliance measures on a daily basis.
- Assists with Quality Metrics, Comprehensive Health Assessment Programs (CHAPS) formally HCC research, telephone call procedures, and patient follow up procedures.
- Participates in Quality Improvement projects.
- Participates in preparing department for internal and external site audits (facility site reviews) from SCAN, DHS, etc.
- Interacts with the Patient Support Center, Eligibility department and Pharmacy Support Center.
- Participates in teammates / clinician “huddles”.
- Participates regularly in site teammates and department meetings.
- Provide coverage as needed
- May assists with site marketing activities (i.e. health fairs, senior Olympics, flu clinics and other events).
- Adheres to Standard Precautions and safety policies and procedures at all times.
- Uses, protects, and discloses patients’ protected health information (PHI) in accordance with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standards.
- Assists with beginning and end of day controlled substance count and document with licensed teammate upon completion of controlled substance count training.
- May administer controlled substances upon completion of controlled substance training.
- Frequently monitors overdue orders and follows approved process to address the orders.
- Assists with Meaningful Use (MU) initiative by encouraging patients to sign up for Follow My Health (FMH), obtaining patient’s email addresses, updating smoking status, and other initiatives.
- Assists clinicians with medication reconciliation per guidelines.
- Uses approved standing orders to perform, order tests and update referrals.
- Assists with entering referrals in electronic health records EHR for clinician to authorize.
- Enters medical billing charges for services rendered in EHR.
- Attends in all mandatory Clinical Teammate Orientation (CTO) (both instructor led and online courses), Annual Clinical Updates, Skills validation including those that could be held after working hours including the weekend.
- Cross trainings to work in other departments or other duties as assigned by supervisor /management.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- A high school diploma, G.E.D. or equivalent. Includes special certification required for specific jobs.
- Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant program.
- Phlebotomy certificate.
- Current Basic Life Support for Provider by American Heart Association (AHA)–100% online certification is not acceptable.
- Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) preferred.
- Up to and including 1 year of experience.
- Previous Medical Assistant work experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Ability to demonstrate basic medication administration
- Manual dexterity to use / handle equipment and instruments.
- Knowledge of infection control standards and utilization of Personal Protection Equipment (PPE).
- Ability to perform essential job functions using proper body mechanics.
- Basic Life Support for Providers provided by American Heart Association (AHA)-(100% Online certification is not acceptable).
- Computer literate.
- Ability to type 40 wpm.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Customer service oriented.
- Ability to concurrently perform multiple tasks.
What's the first thing that happens when one of the leading independent medical groups in the country comes together with a global leader in health care? Opportunity. With DaVita Medical Group, HealthCare Partners, The Everett Clinic, Northwest Physicians Network, MountainView Medical Group and Magan Medical Clinic joining OptumCare and the UnitedHealth Group family of companies, people like you will find increasing levels of challenge, impact and professional success. We're changing health care for the better by improving access to affordable, high quality care, and working together to improve the patient experience. That takes passion, commitment, intense focus and the ability to contribute effectively in a highly collaborative team environment. Are you with us? Learn more about this exciting opportunity to do your life's best work.(SM)
Careers with OptumCare. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make the health system work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health - related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. OptumCare, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Here you’ll find incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(SM)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: OptumCare and its affiliated medical practices are Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. OptumCare and its affiliated medical practices is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.