Licensed Practical Nurse / Per Diem / Shore Medical MD
Chestertown, MD 21620
The University of Maryland Medical System
What You Will Do:
Under Moderate supervision the Licensed Practical Nurse organizes and facilitates the daily activities of the EOHS department. Performs a variety of clerical activities to support departmental operations. Schedules appointments, processes new hire candidates, and administers vaccines to employees who require them. Functions independently for the majority of time during daily shift. An excellent customer friendly attitude and demeanor is also necessary to give our employees the very best care. Patients served include age groups of adolescent to elderly. THIS IS NOT A FULL TIME POSITION; IT IS A PER DIEM DAY POSITION THE POSITION IS LOCATED ON THE LOWER EASTERN SHORE IN EASTON, MARYLAND
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. These are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Assists in providing continuity of care for a patient.
2. Provides direct nursing care to patients whose conditions require non-complex nursing measures, such as, monitoring vital signs, obtaining specimens for laboratory examinations and carrying out physician's orders for medications and routine treatments, in accordance with state of Maryland practical nursing practice.
3. Observes, records, and reports the general physical and mental conditions of patients, to the physician or professional nurse in charge in accordance with department documentation and reporting procedures/standards.
4. Utilizes interview and observation skills to identify symptoms and behavioral changes that indicate common health problems or basic physical, emotional, and social needs of a patient or family.
5. Documents data collected and reports changes in the patient's condition that may indicate an emerging health problem.
6. Assists in nursing diagnosis by documenting and communicating to the RN patient responses to illness or nursing intervention.
7. Assists in the formulation of the care plan by communicating pertinent patient data and/or suggesting nursing interventions to the RN/Primary Nurse.
8. Contributes to the evaluation of the nursing care plan through documentation and communication of patient responses to illness and nursing interventions.
9. Demonstrates the ability to implement a plan of care (in accordance with performance standards) in a knowledgeable, skillful, and consistent manner.
10. Assists in developing, reviewing, and monitoring nursing quality assurance standards, as requested.
11. Participates in nursing/hospital research activities, as requested.
12. Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the patient populations(s) served.
As a Shore Medical Group employee and a part of the University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS), you will enjoy a comprehensive benefits program designed with you and your dependents in mind. Subject to any eligibility waiting period, all of the benefits are available to regular full-time employees and most benefits are available to regular part-time employees who are regularly scheduled to work twenty (20) or more hours per week. Many benefits are provided at no cost to employees. For others, the cost is shared between Shore Medical Group and employees.What You Need to Be Successful:
Graduation from an accredited school of Practical Nursing required.
Currently licensed by the Maryland State Board of Nursing required. Recent appropriate nursing practice (within past 5 years) or refresher course within the past six (6) months.
One (1) year clinical medical office experience preferred.
Current BLS certification or obtained prior to providing direct patient care is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Ability to demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the patient population(s) served.
2. Ability to demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possesses the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's requirements relative to his or her population-specific and age specific needs.
3. Highly effective verbal and written communication skills are required to interact with patient families, departmental units, medical and nursing staff on all essential matters. Demonstrated/documented effective interpersonal skills.
4. Maintains updated hospital safety and other mandatory training.
5. Updated immunizations as recommended per practice area.
Ensures patient safety in the performance of job functions and through participation in hospital, department or unit patient safety initiatives.
1. Takes action to correct observed risks to patient safety.
2. Reports adverse events and near misses to appropriate management authority.
3. Implements policies, procedure, and standards consistently in the performance of assigned duties.
4. Develops effective working relationships and maintains good communication with other team members.
5. Identifies possible risks in processes, procedures, devices and communicates the same to those in charge.We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Associated topics: hemodialysis, lead, licensed practical, licensed practical nurse, med surg, nurse i, nurse lpn, practical, vocational, vocational nurse