Medical Assistant/ Phlebotomist
Irvine, CA 92604
St. Joseph Health / Covenant Health
Posted 3 weeks ago
Discuss pay at interview
**Job Summary:** Under the general supervision of the mid-level provider, physician or Site Manager, the Medical Assistant/Phlebotomist for the Wellness Corner performs front office, back office, phlebotomy and customer service functions in a concierge-like setting. The Medical Assistant/Phlebotomist assists the provider in providing patient care while demonstrating our core values. The Medical Assistant/Phlebotomist will be responsible for client scheduling, check in, insurance verification, payment processing, client rooming, collecting and recording vital signs and health history, customer service, supply ordering, managing inventory, reporting, venipuncture and skin puncture for the purpose of obtaining blood specimens for laboratory analysis, processing (including complex and multiple-step processing) and preparing specimens for Clinical Laboratory and Reference Laboratory testing. In addition, the Medical Assistant/Phlebotomist may operate automated laboratory instrumentation to assist in laboratory testing, assist with quality assurance data collection, recording and action/follow up.
• Promote and monitor quality among the staff by being visible throughout the day to clients and staff.
• Be personally available to all clients to communicate and identify their needs and address their questions and concerns.
• Ensure that all clients are happy with their experience and service.
• Create back-up plans to address a client's needs in the event of the unexpected.
• Meet the Wellness Center's retention goals and client satisfaction scores.
• Support the Wellness Corner's client service excellence standards by acting as a positive role model.
Front Office Essential Functions
• Greets clients and visitors to the Wellness Corner and obtains all required information to register the client. Assists clients in completing all forms and routes those forms to the appropriate staff or department. Inputs registration demographic and insurance information into computer. Reviews current registration information with client updating information as required. Determines insurance eligibility and PCP. May assist client in selecting a PCP if one has not been selected.
• Reviews provider schedules in advance to ensure pre-registration of new clients. Assembles and sends new client packets, registration packets, history and physical forms prior to scheduled appointments.
• Assembles client paperwork per established Standard Work. Produces charge/encounter tickets ensuring that the correct client information is obtained as needed.
• Schedules visits per established Standard Work. Arrives, confirms, cancels, no shows, and reschedules appointments and notifies clinical staff of appointment changes per Standard Work. Discusses scheduling conflicts or problems with supervisors or clinical staff. Provides schedule updates throughout the day.
• Informs clinical staff when patient has arrived; routes patient to appropriate clinical area.
• Promptly answers incoming telephone calls. Routes calls as appropriate or takes detailed, accurate, legible messages. Appropriately tasks provider regarding prescription refill requests per Standard Work.
• Checks client out at the end of visit as per office procedures, ensuring client has completed survey.
• Responsible for collection of outstanding balances as indicated on encounter ticket. Per office procedures, determines total charges for visit and calculates client financial responsibility per established policies and procedures. Collects required copayments, payments (credit/debit cards only), and issues receipts etc., per Standard Work. Ensures that billing information and collections are routed to appropriate staff/department.
• Opens and closes office as shift requires, ensuring that all doors are secured; equipment turned on/off and communicates problems to supervisor in a timely manner.
• Maintains accurate inventory levels, and places orders appropriately at sites such as Office Depot, Amazon, and other vendors.
• Schedule and assist with office tours as needed, always ensuring there are no clients in the office at time of tour.
• Phlebotomy Essential Functions:
• Performs capillary and venous specimen collections as required, taking into account the age specific need and requirement of the client and/or family as per division policies and procedures
• Ensures that the daily maintenance operations of the laboratory section are accomplished and documented according to established protocols.
• Labels all tubes/aliquots accurately, immediately after specimen collection.
• Operates automated and semi-automated laboratory instrumentation as assigned.
• Performs all procedures according to department policy and procedure - these may include complex or multiple-step specimen preparation and handling, testing protocols, etc.
• Collects and records laboratory Quality Assurance and other data as assigned; may perform QC problem follow-through under supervision of licensed personnel.
• Performs automated instrumentation startup, daily and periodic maintenance as assigned
• Maintains on-site files of testing, QC, and other testing documents and records.
• Trains other staff members in various aspects of technical duties as assigned.
• Contacts Quest representative for any billing discrepancies or other issues.
• Medical Assistant Essential Functions
• Practices within the scope of education and training. Scope competencies identified on clinical orientation / competency evaluation.
• Performs assigned tasks appropriately and completely. Gives appropriate patient care, sets up procedures correctly, obtains complete patient information data (chief complaint/vital signs/allergies/medication updates/etc.), anticipates needs and assists providers appropriately.
• Maintains clinical competency requirements.
• Meets compliance standard for documentation ensuring documentation is pertinent, accurate, complete and legible.
• Instructs clients and or significant others in test requirements and provider orders.
• Maintains a clean, functional work environment to include housekeeping, log maintenance and accurate supply par levels. Ability to assist others in office set-up and flow.
• Utilizes AEMR (ambulatory electronic medical record) appropriately and consistently to document patient care.
• Identifies system challenges and makes recommendations for system enhancements. Participates in the implementation of new procedures / systems.
• Rooms clients utilizing best practice MA workflow and maintains client flow per schedule.
• Anticipates client care needs and consults with provider as needed.
• Documents client information collected, care given and treatment provided, as well as charges in a clear and concise manner in EMR.
• Assists with client phone messages/tasks and documents in EMR. Conducts callbacks per provider instruction in an efficient and timely manner, while maintaining proper telephone etiquette.
• Organizes stocks and maintains an orderly, clean and uncluttered work area, including but not limited to exam rooms, laboratory and patient care areas.
• Maintains current knowledge of SJHH clinical policies and procedures.
• Assists with procedures and administers medications within the MA scope of practice and per provider orders.
• Maintains current knowledge of medications, waste disposal and sterile techniques.
• Attends and actively participates in mandatory clinical/business department meetings/in-services, staff meetings and assigned committees.
• Assists provider with weight management program, including: scheduling meetings, checking in clients, and proofreading presentations.
• Responds to patient emergencies as directed per Standard Work.
• Maintains up to date patient statistics, and emails to all management on a weekly basis.
• Creates Front/Back office and Laboratory standard work flow for new employees.
**Minimum Position Qualifications:**
• Requires a High school graduate or equivalent.
• Graduate of a State recognized Medical Assistant program, with externship hours completed required.
• Requires one (1) experience as a Back Office Medical Assistant in an ambulatory care setting or medical group practice.
• Requires one (1) year experience performing blood specimen collections on adults/children and/or a recent graduate from an accredited venipuncture school.
• Knowledge and use of ICD-9 coding required accurately completes all paperwork and has working knowledge of IDX.
• Basic computer skills including Microsoft Word, Windows.
• Proficiency in use of computers
• Familiarity with EMR and working knowledge of IDX required.
**License / Certification** :
• MA Certificate required
• Current State Phlebotomy License (CPT1)
• Valid Venipuncture Certification
• Current BLS (CPR) certification required.
Other: Valid California Driver's License and automobile insurance for employee-owned vehicles.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
• Ability to correctly operate equipment used in patient care, e.g., EKG, AED, lab equipment
• Ability to accurately complete all required paperwork.
• Ability to train co-workers, in back office, front office and phlebotomy.
• Ability to recognize priorities first and plan for the completion of remaining duties.
• Possess initiative for self-improvement and completes required competencies.
• Participates as a team member demonstrated by utilizing proper chain of command and communicating effectively with providers and co-workers.
• Possess technical problem-solving skills..... click apply for full job details
Posted 1 weeks ago
Posted 1 weeks ago
Posted 3 weeks ago
Posted 3 weeks ago
Posted 3 weeks ago