I’m a CNA from out-of-state. Do I need a new CNA license to work in CNA jobs in Maryland?
Posted by Dr. Charlene Brown, Founder of CaregiverJob sNow on July 16, 2019
This is a great question. We hear it so often that we have decided to summarize the steps on how to transfer your CNA license from another state to Maryland below.
The Maryland Board of Nursing (MBON) expects out-of-state certified nursing assistants (CNA) to transfer their license from out-of-state to the State of Maryland before they are allowed to work in CNA jobs anywhere in the State. Some estimate that it takes about 2 weeks to complete. Home care agencies, assisted living, and skilled nursing facilities know all about these rules and won't allow you to work as a CNA (or even offer you a job, in some cases) until you have transferred your license. This doesn't mean that you can't work as a caregiver (e.g. private duty home care) in companion or sitter jobs that don't require a CNA.
Here's a summary of your next steps:
- Send an email to Ms. Anita J. Williams at email@example.com or call (410)-585-2044. The application form is not available online. She will mail you a packet with the endorsement application form. (An endorsement application form is a form that collects information about you and your out-of-state license.) If you make any mistakes on the form, they're likely to reject it.
- Perform a background check, including your fingerprints
- Attach documents such as your CNA training certificate, out-of-state CNA license
- You will need a passport-sized picture
- You will need to pay the fee using a cashier’s check or money order (no personal checks)
- Visit the Maryland Board of Nursing website to review the CNA Endorsement Checklist:.
Our team at Caregiver Jobs Now wants to make your search for CNA jobs easier now that you have moved to Maryland. Here's what you can do to learn about and apply for CNA jobs throughout Maryland!
- Search for CNA and other caregiver jobs in the Maryland area.
- If you don't see a job that you like, you can create a profile here.
Welcome to Maryland CNA and caregiver jobs!
Back to Blog