A 9 Step Guide to Renewing Your Maryland CNA
Posted by Dr. Charlene Brown, CEO of Caregiver Jobs Now on February 2, 2019
1) Have you been wondering how to renew your Maryland CNA?
- It's all online now and you'll need to use the Maryland Nursing Assistant Certification Online Renewal System.
- The good news is that you DO NOT need approval from your supervising RN!
2) How much does it cost to renew my CNA license?
- It will cost you $40 and you or your sponsoring agency will be asked to pay online.
3) Do I need to get a background check?
- YES, the Maryland Board of Nursing calls this background check Criminal History Records Check or CHRC.
- If your CNA expired on 12/28/2017, 1/28/2018, or 2/28/2018, then you will need a background check to renew, even if you already did this in the past!
- You CANNOT renew without a new criminal history background check.
4) Can I just get a background check anywhere?
- No. There are specifically approved vendors.
- Please review how to meet the new background check requirements.
- Also, visit the Board of Nursing's list of Frequently Asked Questions on this topic.
- You will need to submit CHRC receipts, either by email (email@example.com) or by mail to the RENEWAL DEPARTMENT at 4140 Patterson Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21215.
5) How do I get started?
- Go to the Maryland CNA Lookup
- Log in by entering your name, CNA certification number, and Social Security Number.
- Once you have logged in, follow the instructions on the screen.
6) What if I have forgotten my CNA license number?
That's okay, you can find it online. Just look it up by visiting the Maryland CNA Lookup and following the steps below:
- Click Profession and a drop-down list will appear. Select “Nursing Assistant”.
- Click License Type and a very long drop down list will appear.
- Scroll down and select the CNA or GNA or other license types that apply to you.
- Enter your Last Name
- Enter your First Name
- Click the “Search” button on the right-hand side near the bottom of the box.
7) Do I have a grace period for my CNA renewal? What if I miss the deadline?
- YES, you have a 30-day renewal grace period. This means you can renew up to 29 days after your license expiration date.
8) May I email the Maryland Board of Nursing directly with CNA renewal questions?
- YES, you can EMAIL the Maryland Board of Nursing directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
9) How can my employer pay for my renewal?
- To get started, you will need to register and start the process following the instructions above.
- Your employer will have to log in to the website, but only AFTER you have registered online and started the process.
- Make sure that the person paying for it knows when you have completed your registration so that they can log in.
- You can learn more by visiting this page from the Maryland Board of Nursing.
Back to Blog